Our Customer and Passenger privacy notice explains exactly what we collect and how we use it, including your rights under the new Data Protection law changes that came into effect on 25 May 2018.
This privacy notice applies to you if you are or were a customer or passenger of National Express Limited.
In addition, we may process and store your personal data if you have made a booking through a third party agent.
This privacy notice explains:
We take your privacy very seriously and are committed to abiding by the Data Protection Laws which protect your privacy.
This privacy notice may change from time to time and the most up-to-date version will always be available on our website. It is your responsibility to read this privacy notice and check our website for the current version.
National Express Limited, trading as National Express, is the controller of your personal data.
Our representative for the purposes of this privacy notice is the National Express UK Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted using the contact details provided at the end of this notice.
If you are in the EEA, our subsidiary National Express Bus & Coach Services Limited is our representative in the EEA and can be contacted using the contact details provided at the end of this notice.
We collect the following types of personal data about you:
In addition, each time you visit our website or use our apps we may automatically collect the following information:
We collect your personal data in a variety of ways, including:
We may also receive your personal data if you use any of the other websites operated by other National Express Group companies or from third parties, such as companies that market and sell our products and/or services on our behalf or from any person who has bought our products and services for you or contacted us on your behalf.
We use your personal data for the following purposes and described below the legal basis on which we process your personal data:
|• To provide our products and services to you
• To provide you with information, advice and guidance about our products and services
• To manage our relationship with you, including to respond to any questions you ask and deal with any complaints you make and, on occasion, to ascertain whether you wish to be a brand ambassador for us
• To develop our business and new and/or better ways of meeting our customers’ needs, including by carrying out market research and consulting with you
• To develop our strategy, operational processes and marketing activities
• To study how our customers use products and services provided by us and third parties
• To manage how we work with other companies that provide services to us and our customers
• To comply with the laws and regulations that apply to us
• To seek to enforce and defend our legal rights
• To seek to detect, investigate, prevent and report crime and anti-social behaviour
• To seek to protect and promote your health & safety and that of our other customers, staff and third parties
|• Fulfilling our legal duty
• Performance of our contract with you
• Legitimate interest
|• Being efficient about how we fulfil our legal and contractual duties and manage our relationship with you
• Keeping our business records up to date
• Developing and improving our business
• Developing our products and services, and what we charge for them
• Developing relationships with business partners, to enhance our product and service offering
• Preserving our legal position, seeking to detect and prevent crime and anti-social behaviour and seeking to promote health and safety
• Enabling us to provide safe passenger transport services
|• To market and promote products and services to you offered by other National Express Group companies
• To inform you about incomplete purchases of our products and services
• Legitimate interest
|• To inform you about similar products and services to those you have previously bought from us
• To assist you in completing your purchase
|• To market and promote third party products and services to you that we believe may be of interest
• To pass your information to third party providers of products and services where you have a given your consent
|• To administer and manage our website and apps, including troubleshooting and testing
• To ensure that our website content is presented to customers in the most effective and tailored manner
• For data analysis, research, statistical and survey purposes
|• Legitimate interest
|• Providing an efficient and tailored means for customers to get information about our products and services|
Where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent, you may withdraw that consent at any time.
Where you have provided consent for us to send you marketing communications, you may withdraw that consent at any time, either by updating your marketing preferences in your account with us (if you have one) or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any marketing communications we send you.
We have no legal obligation to collect personal data about you, but we need to collect some personal data in order to provide you with our products and services, collect payment for such products and services and deal with any questions or complaints you have about them.
You have no legal obligation to provide your personal data to us, but we may not be able to provide you with our products and services or deal with your questions or complaints if you do not provide us with your personal data.
We may share your personal data with:
Where we share your personal data with business partners for the purpose of providing products and services to you, it may be essential to do this to fulfil a contract with you. . Where this applies, the relevant business partner is the controller of your personal data that we provide to them and their privacy notices or policies apply to how they handle your personal data. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for such third parties or their handling of your personal data. Please check the relevant third party’s privacy notice before you submit any personal data to them.
In addition, if you follow a link to any of the websites of advertisers and affiliates on our websites, these third party websites may have their own privacy notices or policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these notices or policies or the third parties’ handling of your personal data. Please check the relevant third party’s privacy notice before you submit any personal data to them.
There may be occasions where it is necessary to transfer your personal data to a country outside of the United Kingdom (“UK”). It is possible that the country concerned may not be deemed to provide a similar level of protection for individuals’ rights in relation to their personal data as in the UK.
Where we transfer your personal data to other National Express Group companies and/or third parties who process your personal data on our behalf in countries outside the UK, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by implementing one of the following safeguards:
Please contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the UK.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements in respect of our relationship with you.
Where we process your personal data to fulfil:
Where we process your personal data based on:
You have a number of rights under Data Protection Laws in relation to your personal data. These include the right, subject to exceptions, to:
You also have the right in some circumstances to receive a copy of your personal data in a portable format. This right is limited to personal data you have provided to us and is processed on the basis of your contract with us and/or your consent. It does not cover personal data that we process on other grounds.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights and/or request a portable copy of the data that you have provided and is processed on these bases, please contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer.
If you have any questions or complaints about how we process your personal data, or otherwise about the matters set out in this privacy notice, please contact the National Express UK Data Protection Officer at:
If you are in the EEA, our subsidiary National Express Bus & Coach Services Limited is our representative in the EEA and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to complain at any time to the UK Information Commissioner's Office about how we use your personal data and can contact them on their helpline: 0303 123 1113 or website at https://ico.org.uk/
Back to top